The holiday season is here again, which means it’s time to break out the garland, ornaments and twinkle lights. While nothing can beat walking into a beautifully decorated home during the holidays, transforming your ordinary living spaces into a winter wonderland can be a challenge. The good news is your holiday decorations don’t have to be extravagant or expensive to make this season the best one yet for your family. Check out these easy tips from the design team at Ashley HomeStore to keep your holiday home decor simple yet festive.
The entrance of your home is the first thing that your family and guests will see this holiday season. Make a fabulous (and festive) first impression by decorating it in an eye-catching manner. Designing a holiday-ready front door is as simple as hanging a seasonal floral wreath or holiday-inspired door hanger. Don’t forget to lay out a fresh holiday welcome mat for your guests to wipe their feet. For a tasteful finishing touch to your front porch, consider placing oversized lanterns filled with sparkling ornaments or a simple wooden bench draped with a cozy blanket. The result will be understated but beautiful.
You don’t have to cover your home in snowmen and Santa to let the world know that the holiday season is here. If characters and themes aren’t your thing, that’s OK. Decorating with festive fabrics can give your home the cozy, inviting vibe you’re looking for without overdoing it. Here are some tips to help you do just that.
- Pay attention to color: Choose rich, saturated colors — such as rich reds, hunter greens and deep plums — to create an elegant atmosphere.
- Tell a story through throw pillows: Adding decorative pillows to your sofa, bedrooms and outdoor seating areas can make every space feel special.
- Use heavier upholstery: Rather than light cottons and linens, make your home cozy with chunky woven blankets, warm fabrics, such as wool, and seasonal patterns, such as Buffalo check.
There’s no better way to make a simple yet festive statement this holiday season than by playing with light. Fortunately, using light to create spaces that feel magical isn’t only easy but affordable. Keep these tips in mind to light up any room in your home over the holidays.
- Arrange candlesticks of varying shapes and sizes in the middle of your dining room table for a dramatic result.
- Hang string lights around your front porch or fireplace mantle for an effortlessly cheerful touch.
- Display votive candles on your entryway table or buffet table to add subtle yet dreamy details.
You don’t need an abundance of holiday decorations to make your home feel festive. In fact, using fewer decorations can help you create a stylish, contemporary aesthetic without overwhelming or cluttering your home during the holidays. One way to enhance your living room or dining room with thoughtful holiday decor is to create a simple centerpiece for your table. Here are some ideas to inspire you.
- Arrange small wrapped gifts, ornaments and greens on a three-tiered white cake stand for a lovely addition to your breakfast room table.
- Fill a glass vase with faux cranberries for a playful pop of holiday color before sticking your favorite white flowers in and placing them on a side table.
- Arrange evergreen branches or pine cones on a large platter with silver ornaments for an elegant centerpiece that will look stunning on your coffee table from Thanksgiving to New Year’s.
If you think that holiday decorations have to come from the store, think again. With a little imagination and a few items from around your home, you can create one-of-a-kind holiday decorations that will make your home look and feel amazing. Check out these ideas to get started.
- Place bare branches in a vase, then hang a few sparkling ornaments on them for a simple yet gorgeous result.
- Cover a Styrofoam wreath from the craft store with ornaments, then hang it in front of your entryway mirror.
- Use evergreen, pom poms or even coffee filters to create the perfect holiday garland for your fireplace or bookshelf.
The holiday season is your bar cart’s time to shine. Whether you’re hosting a holiday dinner party or enjoying a night at home with your family, have your bar cart prepared to serve crowds big and small. If your bar cart could use an upgrade, here are some tips to help you breathe new life into it just in time for the holidays.
- Pour your favorite beverages into glass decanters to make them more festive and visually appealing.
- Swap out your everyday glasses with more celebratory drinkware, such as rose-colored plastic wine glasses.
- Use your bar cart in an unexpected way to display everything from holiday gifts to miniature Christmas trees.
No matter how modern your holiday home decor may be, it’s important to add a nostalgic touch when possible. Luckily, embracing the warmth and nostalgia of the season is easier than you may think. Check out these easy ways to modernize the holiday days of old.
- Put old family photographs on your bookshelf, side table or even on a string using tiny clothespins for a simple homemade garland.
- Place a vintage decoration under a clear dome (or a glass cake plate in a pinch) for a super-easy nostalgic display.
Who says that decorating for the holidays has to be over-the-top? At Ashley HomeStore, we make preparing your home for the holiday season simple and fun. For more tips on how to keep your holiday decor simple yet festive, we are here to help. Visit us online today or stop by our showroom in Tucson to find everything you need to enhance the comfort and beauty of your home this holiday season and beyond.